Per Jay Glazer of Foxsports.com, Eric Mangini is the new head coach of the Cleveland Browns. We'll have a full story on this in the next day or so but allow me to give you my initial reactions:
1. Hiring a head coach in the NFL seems like a complete crapshoot. There does not appear to be any rhyme or reason as to why some hires work out well and others don't. Actually, wait; I do remember seeing one study hypothesizing that roster talent or a lack thereof is actually the the most important factor underlying coaching success and/or failure. I think we need more research on this possible correlation before we jump to any hasty conclusions.
2. Glad to see the Browns went the logical route and let their new GM pick the head coach. Or not.
3. Apparently our new GM is going to be George Kokinis. I'd use an exclamation point here but I don't want to mislead you. I have no idea who the hell this guy is. The fact that I'd never heard of him before a week ago is not a good sign in my book.
4. I can't wait to hear Randy Lerner tell us how great he is for managing to wrangle a coach that nobody else seemed to want to touch with a 10 foot pole. And way to do your due dilligence and interview everyone before making a rash decision Randy. God forbid we don't have a coach in place for the Super Bowl.
5. I'm thrilled that we've hired another coach with no media skills to keep the tradition of Belichick, Davis, and Crennel alive. Get ready for a few more years of being talked down to at awesome press conferences Cleveland fans and media.
6. Sadly, my dream of Kirk Ferentz becomming our new coach has been shattered. How does a struggling NFL franchise just ignore a perfectly medoicore big-ten coach!? Your guess is as good as mine. I thought the move had Browns written all over it.
If you couldn't tell, I'm bitter today. You better not lose tonight Cavs.