Thursday, December 25, 2008

Quick Hitter Thoughts of the Day


Some days there just isn't anything that moves you to write an entire story. Still, I feel compelled to get a few things off my chest so we'll do this Peter King style.

Quick Hitter Thoughts of the Day:

1. Kudos to you Notre Dame. There are few things in this world that are more pathetic than going 14 years without a Bowl win. Beating a WAC team in the Sheraton Hawaii Bowl and then strutting around like you're hot shit is one of them. Well done gentlemen. I'm pretty sure touchdown jesus is blushing right now. This might be worse than Derek Anderson's "We got our swagger back" text message to Peter King after the first Cincinnati game this year.



2. Speaking of the WAC, I was looking at the standings and notice that Louisiana Tech is also in that conference. Maybe this has already been discussed somewhere but that blew my mind. Hawaii and La. Tech are in the same conference?! Those two schools are over 4,000 miles apart! I challenge anyone to come up with any two teams in any sport that are in the same conference that are farther apart than that.

3. Watched Boston and the Lakers today. I plan to write about this in a future column but the Celtics just don't intimidate me. They're good for sure, but this Cavs team could absolutely beat them, even without home court. As for the Lakers, obviously they can present matchup problems with two legit 7 footers to go with Kobe but they still have plenty of issues, namely that they just stop defending for long stretches.

4. The Lebron Six Chalks are awesome looking. It saddens me that once you're out of college, you can no longer wear hightops anywhere outside of a gym without looking like a complete douche.

5. I laugh every time I think about Abe Pollin crapping in his depends every time he has to sign a paycheck for Gilbert Arenas. Only 5 1/2 more seasons Abe and you're out from under that one! Seriously, could there be a better example of the notion that a fool and his money are not long for each other? What exactly was he thinking? "Hmm, what if I take the core of this perennial 40 win team and first round punching bag and give them all long-term deals for twice as much as they're currently making. That'll put us over the top for sure!" You know what though, it couldn't have happened to a worse bunch of guys. Every time we see this team they're pretending to be thugs and running their mouths. Enjoy the lottery Washington. You're going to be seeing a lot of it in the next few years.

6. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that Shaun Smith will not be back with the Browns next year.

7. I woke up way too early this morning and ended up watching Sportscenter (I know, how 1990's of me). Anyway, the show featured a heartwarming little puff piece featuring Steelers players reading a Christmas poem. ESPN is as much about sports these days as MTV is about music (I'm pretty sure I just sounded like a curmudgeon right there. These damn kids and their rock music). Oh, and in case you've not caught wind of it yet, ESPN would like you to know that KEVIN GARNETT IS INTENSE!

8. Brian Windhorst is an excellent journalist who just so happens to look like "Seth" from Superbad.

9. I was bored yesterday and actually stopped by the Indians team shop. The apparel collection is absolutely disgraceful for a professional sports team. I spent 20 minutes trying to find a decent T-shirt and couldn't do it and the polos were just laughable. I did get a good laugh out of the fact that the team is still designing new Travis Hafner gear. Apparently they didn't get the memo that he retired two years ago. On a brighter note, I did pick up a Sizemore alternate home jersey for 50% off (and yes, I'm perfectly aware of the fact that all grown men look ridiculous in jerseys).

10. The Cavs are currently in the process of affixing a nice little 42 center to the Washington game tonight. Nice to know they can still mail it in when they want to.

No comments: